Monday, December 6, 2010

End 48

Blood Pressure: 113/78
Hemoglobin: 13.1
Weight: Not Available :P
Blood Type: A

I was nervous to donate my blood today. Because the last time I want to donate my blood, I couldn’t. First, it’s my weight. Then it’s my blood hemoglobin. Apparently at that time, I was under lots of pressure and don’t have enough vitamins in my body. When I arrived at Pusat Darah Negara I was greeted warmly by the receptionist. As usual there is form need to be filled. Then I hop on the weight scale to get my weight. Fuh! The number is shocking. But its enough for me to go through with the donation. After a few minutes of waiting, I was called into the doctor’s room.

Guess what? My blood pressure is low. She asked me whether I’ve had anything to eat today. Sure I have. There’s no way I’m going to donate my blood with an empty stomach. Yet, the Nasi Lemak and one big glass of Milo is not enough. So I went to the cafeteria and told the nurse I need something for to increase the pressure. Again I eat. This time it’s two sardine sandwiches and a cup of Milo.

15 minutes later, I went back to the doctor's room. After she signed my paper, I went to the donation room. The nurses are friendly. Everyone keeps asking me if I wanted anything. Do you know that there are very few people of our age (18 – 25 years old) who donate their blood? The nurses told me that the volunteers are usually people over 30++. Sure enough, I looked around the room and I was the youngest volunteer. What a sad thing.

Dear friends, go donate your blood. It’s a nice thing to do.

Back to me donating blood. As I sat there waiting for the process to end, come this one guy. He brought along with him a thick file. He put it on a bed and tell the nurse he wanted to the toilet first. He left his file there. Then the nurses starts to go through the file. And I thought, what a rude nurse. Going through other people stuff. So I asked the nurse whose taking off the needle from my arm of what they were doing. And she told me.

Apparently, that guy is donating blood plasma instead of plain blood. This type of blood is usually use for people who has severe burns, major accident and sometimes during operation when there is blood complication. Very cool! I asked the nurse if I can do the same thing. She told me I can. Because I’ve donated blood more than 3 times. But, here’s the catch. I need to be more than 55kg to be able to do it. Hahaha! Not gonna happen then. I’m gonna stick to donating blood only. 55kg is way way too heavy for me. :)

After I was done, I went to the guy and said good luck to him. We talked a little bit. He asked me to stay and accompany him because plasma donation takes longer time. But as much as I would love to stay, I have to go back. Because I told Ibu and Ayah I will only be gone for a while. Even so, I’ve made a promise him that the next time his gonna donate, I will be there. When? I’m not gonna tell.

Till then,
See you again in three months time. :D

1 comment:

[CoRn_HeLiuS] said...

blood plasma?macam mana tu?

 
;