Monday, December 19, 2011

Degree 175

Off QSM551: Measurement of Construction Works IV

To those who didn't know, I am a Quantity Surveyor (QS) in the making. And that subject above is the core subject of my course. Takes 4 credit hours each semester and the most interestingly difficult subject I have ever learned. Why interesting? Because it takes both part of your brain to study this subject. You need to be able to imagine beyond needed and think the most suitable and simplest calculation to achieve what you want. That is the difficult part.

I don't think that many people out there knew what exactly is the task of a QS. Basically, we priced the building. For an example, take a room. Us the QS will need to measure the quantity of all element to build that room. That say, the elements would be, the floor, the ceiling, the roof, the brickwall. Anything, anything that you can see in a typical room. We measured all of it even to the tiniest details. And then we priced. To measure all of these things we are given a drawing. Sometimes not one, but pages of drawing. And it won't be in an A4 size. Never an easy task. A square room would be the easiest job ever. But imagine, weirdly shape building? With different specifications from the client? With hundreds of drawings? Life would be a disaster to measure such building.

This has been said, come to my point of writing. Today, we were given a test by our so beloved THR. We were given a test. To measure out the works needed to construct a basement. The drawings were given three days prior to the test. But its not like that all the time we have need to be spend doing measurement only. The test was supposed to start at 11 and all of us thought since there would be not enough time to finish it, there will be an extension of time.

Boy, are we wrong. THR came into the class at 9 and basically told us that all classes are to be postponed because the lecturers need to be in the hall and we are to submit the test at 12. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! The previous similar assignment took us 2 weeks to be done and he expects us to finish this one in 3 hours?! He is definitely out of his mind. Nevertheless, a tyrant he is won't see to any reason and we are still to submit the test at 12 still.

On we go with the work then. I don't like doing my work in such a constraint time. Yeah, I know in the finals the exam period is three hours. But, the drawings won't be sloppy and won't be as difficult. And I hate working in small space (exam hall pun sama.bagi table satu je.KEDEKUT!). I need BIG TABLE or TWO SMALL TABLES! *sigh*

I told you right that three hours is not enough? Its true. It took us FIVE HOURS to complete the test. None of us barely raised their head just to finish the taking off. Event with aching fingers and strained neck we keep doing our work. At almost 2 o'clock, I  and few others stop working. We couldn't continue any more further. I send my test without completing few other elements (reinforcement banyak sgt nak measure!) 

To make it worst, we have class at 2.15. Nice. I haven't got my next class notes with me and I haven't perform my Zuhur. Rushed back home to collect my notes. And went to class back. Once that class is done, rushed back home (solat Zuhur!) and then I'm dead. 


Stapling won't do. Green tag is the only solution.

Source: Zaidi


ps: i didn't eat anything or drink anything until this afternoon.
pps: your text made my day. thanks rara : )
ppps: i have this stupid meeting with the new lecturers tonight. what's the point? beats me. 

No comments:

 
;